Read stories, news articles, blog posts, and tweets about street harassment from the past week and find relevant announcements and upcoming street harassment events.
Street Harassment Stories:
I accept street harassment submissions from anywhere in the world. Share your story!
You can read new street harassment stories on the Web from the past week at:
- Stop Street Harassment Blog
- HollaBack Atlanta
- HollaBack Buenos Aires
- Holla Back DC!
- HollaBack France
- HollaBack Israel
- HollaBack London
- HollaBack Mumbai
- HollaBack NYC
- HollaBack San Jose
- HollaBack SoCal
Street Harassment in the News, on the Blogs:
- Ms Magazine, “For Spring Equinox: A Global Call to End Catcalls“
- Bust Magazine, “Ending the Silence about Street Harassment: Get Involved!”
- The F-Word, “International Anti-Street Harassment Day – March 20, 2011“
- Your Commonwealth, “Correspondence: Stop street harassment on 20 March“
- Rogers Park Young Women’s Action Team, “March 20th is the International Day Against Street Harassment…“
- Change.org, “Argentinian Journalist Threatens Rape To Prove a Point“
- New Model Minority, “Kill Me or Leave Me Along: Street Harassment as a Public Health Issue“
- Outlook India, “Delhi Govt Turns Proactive to Protect Women“
- Irie News, “Women Fight Back Against Street Harassment“
- ColorLines, “Women Fight Back Against Street Harassment“
- ESPNW, “She’s a Barbie birthday girl“
- Global Voices, “Hollaback! Mobile Technology Against Street Harassment“
- Care2, “Hollaback! Wants You To Participate”
- March 15: International Approaches to Stopping Street Harassment Talk, Georgia College, Museum Education Room, Milledgeville, GA, 5 p.m.
- March 16: Street Harassment Workshop, Georgia College, Women’s Resource Center, Milledgeville, GA, 12:30 p.m.
- March 19: Stop Street Harassment Talk, Old Parish House/Women’s Club
4711 Knox Road, College Park, MD, 11 a.m.
- March 19: HarassMap is organizing anti-street harassment activism in Cairo, Egypt!
- March 20: International Anti-Street Harassment Day – happening all over the world!
- March 22: HollaBack London meeting, 420 Kingsland Road, unknown time
International Anti-Street Harassment Day:
It’s only two weeks away! Participate in the first annual International Anti-Street Harassment Day on March 20!!!
- RSVP on the FaceBook Event page
- Find out what others are doing in your area and list your plans
- Download graphics in six languages & find factsheets, fliers to adapt
- On March 20, tweet #Antistreetharassmentday and/or #March20
- Last week a journalist wrote an article in which he threatened to rape the leader of the HollaBack Buenos Aires group. Sign a petition calling for his resignation.
- Watch the HollaBack video for International Women’s Day
- HollaBack DC! is commemorating Public Transit Awareness Month this March.
- Writers and bloggers – want to do a book review of the new book Hey Shorty: A Guide to Combating Sexual Harassment and Violence in Schools and on the Streets? Here’s a one-pager
- Are you in Egypt? Use HarassMap to report your street harassers
- Have an iPhone? Download the Hollaback iPhone app that lets you report street harassers
10 Tweets from the Week:
- HollabackEP Went for a lovely walk with my mom. Yeah, I still got harassed. Doesn’t matter what you’re wearing, or who you’re with. #StreetHarassment
- bibliofeminista Street harassed on the streets of DC today by a man who yells: “Whoa, legs!” Me: “Yup, I have them.” #gross #streetharassment
- TingyN #saynoto abuse and harassment in the street making people feel vulnerable in their every day lives
- FeministInti Feminism isn’t a zero sum game, we can fight against street harassment, for abortion AND to end domestic violence and rape. It all counts.
- Tweetsbian Creepy mullet dude gave me the turn-catcall-stare on a dark sidewalk. Think my ovaries have shriveled up a bit.
- KimberlynnAce Nope…was wrong. street harassment is rampant as ever on international women’s day. All this tells me is that we gotta go to work. #iwd2011
- Dina_T Is there some sort of sexual street harassment quota that Egyptian men are trying to achieve today? Kefaya!
- equalitynow From FB: Passing some kind of legislation against street harassment. There is no equality while women feel unsafe. #100steps
- SophiaAlMaria Make street-harassment a relic of pre-revolutionary #Egypt. Support http://www.harassmap.org/ on International Women’s Day.
- disasterous007 If you ever walk alone to your car without thinking someone might attack you, this isn’t your day. #internationalwomensday