Read stories, news articles, blog posts, and tweets about street harassment from the past week and find relevant announcements and upcoming street harassment events.
Street Harassment Stories:
I accept street harassment submissions from anywhere in the world. Share your story!
You can read new street harassment stories on the Web from the past week at:
- Stop Street Harassment Blog
- HollaBack Atlanta
- HollaBack Buenos Aires
- HollaBack DC!
- HollaBack France
- HollaBack Houston
- HollaBack Israel
- HollaBack London
- HollaBack NYC
- HollaBack San Jose
Street Harassment in the News, on the Blogs:
- Yahoo News, “Women rally against “Eve teasing” in S. Asia“
- The WIP, “New Egypt Inherits Old Egypt’s Sexual Violence“
- The National, “Lara Logan awareness rally met with anger“
- Model Minority, “Kill Me or Leave Me Alone: Street Harassment as a Public Health Issue“
- Feministe, “Westboro Baptist Church protests are protected speech“
- The Times of India, “Youth held for eve-teasing“
- Guardian, “Sister act: Women take on street harassers“
- New York Times, “Keeping Women Safe Through Social Networking“
- AAUW Dialog, “Participate in International Anti-Street Harassment Day!“
- The Times of India, “Two eve-teasers arrested“
- BG Views, “Sexual harassment remains an issue for women“
- American Public Media, “Social networking to stop street harassment of women“
- Jezebel, “What’s Your Worst On-The-Road Harassment Story?“
- Echidne, “I’d Like To Get Into Your Panties“
- Feisty Femmes, “Smile, Sexy Mama“
- March 7: Hollaback Alberta presentation on #streetharassment during GENDER EQUALITY WEEK at the University of Alberta, 6 p.m. (Rm ED 170)
- March 8: STARS Speaks: Featuring Hollaback!, MU Women’s Center, G108 MU Student Center, 4:30 p.m.
- March 10: Town Hall & Community Forum on Mass Transit, NYC, 6 p.m.
- March 20: International Anti-Street Harassment Day – happening all over the world!
International Anti-Street Harassment Day:
It’s only two weeks away! Participate in the first annual International Anti-Street Harassment Day on March 20!!!
- Watch the YouTube video announcing the day
- RSVP on the FaceBook Event page
- Find out what others are doing in your area and list your plans
- Download graphics in six languages
- HollaBack DC! is commemorating Public Transit Awareness Month this March. Here’s a breakdown of the stories they’ve received this past year relating to harassment on public transportation.
- Writers and bloggers – want to do a book review of the new book Hey Shorty: A Guide to Combating Sexual Harassment and Violence in Schools and on the Streets? Here’s a one-pager
- Participate in a new study for Dr. Kimberly Fairchild
- Have an encounter with gender-based violence on NYC mass transit to share? http://tinyurl.com/transitstory (via RightRides)
- If you live in Washington, DC, take a street harassment survey for HollaBack DC!
- Are you in Egypt? Use HarassMap to report your street harassers
- Have an iPhone? Download the Hollaback iPhone app that lets you report street harassers
10 Tweets from the Week:
- ashleyrebeccah #streetharassment in london can be bad- being catcalled, groped on public transport, men exposing themselves- they def needed a hollaback!
- HollaBackBmore It’s not a compliment when she’s walking home at 3am and yr in an SUV. It’s threatening. #streetharassment http://is.gd/3qAOL9
- RightRides #worldbookday Might we suggest Hey Shorty!: A Guide to Combating Sexual Harassment in Schools & the Streets, and also Stop Street Harassment
- kirbybits Nothing like street harassment to start/ruin a day. #heybiggirl #comesitthatassdownonmydick
- irincarmon Making my liberal arts education/film theory class pay by illustrating street harassment post with a still from L’Avventura. #thesystemworks
- littlemisskelli Him: “Mmm MMM!” Me: *walks by quickly* Him: “Fucking bitch!” YAY STREET HARASSMENT!
- hollabackatl If you were going to make a rally sign to kick #streetharassment in the ass, what would it say? C’mon, don’t be shy.
- andreagrimes Walking to the pizza shop today W/ MY BOYF, a dude rolled by slow in a pickup & wiggled his tongue at me #streetharassment #hollaback #gross
- JessicaForeign #Trainharassment: I may have nowhere to go but I do have a voice. I am not a willing participant or audience to your #streetharassment.
- huny this. RT @MoreAndAgain: @huny Rejection issues are one of the MAIN problems with street harassment, in my experience.