Read stories, news articles, blog posts, and tweets about street harassment from the past week and find relevant announcements and upcoming street harassment events.
Street Harassment Stories:
I accept street harassment submissions from anywhere in the world. Share your story!
You can read new street harassment stories from the past week on:
- Stop Street Harassment Blog
- HollaBack Baltimore
- HollaBack Buenos Aires
- HollaBack DC!
- HollaBack France
- HollaBack Houston
- HollaBack Israel
- HollaBack London
- HollaBack Mumbai
- HollaBack NYC
Street Harassment in the News, on the Blogs:
- The Peninsula Qatar, “Girl, harassed on train, succumbs in hospital“
- Guardian, “Rules for a Happy Valentine’s Day“
- Sify News, “Candlelight march against women harassment in Delhi“
- International Museum of Women, “Maluca’s Musical World“
- Outlish Magazine, “Street Harassment: How it Hurts Women“
- The Jakarta Post, “Man charged for sexual harassment on busway“
- Emirates 24/7, “Murder crimes drop but sexual assault cases up“
- The Times of India, “City turning unsafe for women“
- The Times of India, “Man beaten up by eve-teasers“
- Gonzo Times, “Street Harassment“
- Guardian, “What sort of woman do I want to be?‘”
- New York Post, “Harass Kickers go Global“
- Baltimore City Paper, “Dick Pics“
- Indypendent Reader, “Hollaback and Party On!“
- The Consensual Project, “Consent On The Street With Holly Kearl“
- Feministing, “Holly Kearl on how to talk to women without harassing them“
- AAUW Dialog, “Don’t be a Harasser! How to Earn Consent on the Streets“
- Feb. 13: Street harassment planning meeting, In Other Words, Portland, OR, 6 p.m.
- Feb. 24: Stop Street Harassment Book Talk, James Madison University (VA), 6:30 p.m.
- Feb. 26: HollaBack Atlanta’s launch party
- Feb. 26: BLANK_NOISE’s #actionheroes college network meeting in Bangalore, India
- If you’re a queer woman of color in New York City, please take this survey about your street harassment experiences for Kimberlynn Acevedo’s work on the topic
- If you live or have visited Washington, DC, share your street harassment experiences in HollaBack DC’s survey
- Sign HollaBack DC!’s petition asking the National Crime and Punishment Museum to Take Intimate Partner Violence Seriously
- Women Speak offers a place for women in Trinidad and Tobago to share their street harassment stories
- Have an encounter with gender-based violence on NYC mass transit to share? http://tinyurl.com/transitstory (via RightRides)
- If you live in Washington, DC, take a street harassment survey for HollaBack DC!
- RightRides is hiring for a Communications & Outreach Intern and a Fundraising & Development Intern
- HollaBack is seeking a program associate intern
- If you live in the United States or in Iran, please take this survey about street harassment: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/januarystudy
- Are you in Egypt? Use HarassMap to report your street harassers
- Have an iPhone? Download the Hollaback iPhone app that lets you report street harassers
10 Tweets from the Week:
- nada_rama thats disappointing what happened to the new #Egypt plans ? :/RT: @EngyG sexual harassment was reported during street celebrations
- ImJDan I’m just shocked by the fact that women can go through street harassment every.fucking.day and men are still “well whose bothering u?”
- aaw1976 That street harassment is real @Imjdan. It happens to young girls everyday and they can be assaulted if they speak up.
- abby_go_lucky walk down the street sans fear of harassment/degradation. can someone make that into a pithy protest slogan?! preferably one that rhymes!
- wandofmirkwood How dare Westerners call the veil oppressive when I can’t even go out in public without getting harassed?
- sarahsosiak Resolved: My new response to street-harassment will be an academic lecture about the economics of male attention.
- spokenbeats Call me uptight, but I hate havng 2 deal w/street harassment on a daily basis. It gets old & it always has me on the defense
- MagneticCrow @littlefluffycat Aw, I used to smile at strangers… But it brought me so much additional street harassment that I stopped.😦
- sarahsosiak Wow. It is way too early to need to come up with snappy comebacks to street harassment.
- DianeMassage @MTAInsider, please tell yr train conductors not 2 cat-call women as they’re getting off the train. Thx #streetharassment