Story Submissions Recap:
I accept street harassment submissions from anywhere in the world. Share your story!
- Stop Street Harassment Blog: 3 stories from people in Edmonton (Alberta, Canada), Louisiana, and a woman from an undisclosed location
- HollaBack Como: 1 new story
- HollaBack DC!: 5 new stories
- HollaBack Israel: 9 new stories
- HollaBack London: 3 new stories
- HollaBack NYC: 9 new stories
Street Harassment in the News, on the Blogs:
- Washington Post, “Giving street harassers all the attention they want – and more“
- Indian Express, “Youth stabbed for opposing eve-teasing“
- Sify News, “Rape, molestation cases in Delhi up in 2010“
- Octopus Pie, White Winter Catcall (comic strip)
- NewsLine, “Agents of Change: Youth Tackle Gender-based Violence“
- The Sauda Voice, “A Black Man’s Take on the Street Harassment of Black Women“
- Women’s ENews, “2011 – Seven Who Create New Visions of Change” — includes Emily May of HollaBack
- The Daily Femme, “Interview with Veronica Greene: ER Rape Advocate and Community Organizer for Project ENVISION, a NYC Community-Driven Sexual Violence Prevention Program“
- B-Listed, “b-side chat: I AM THIS LAND interview with Emily May from Hollaback!“
- Jan. 10: Radio show about street harassment by The F Word: Feminist Media Collective, 3 p.m. EST
- Jan. 10: Discussion on HarassMap at 14 Sleem EL-Ghatas St, Off Sleem the First St. – Hadaek EL-Zatoon, Cairo, Egypt, 5 p.m.
- Jan. 13: Stop Street Harassment Book Talk, University of California, Irvine, 8 p.m.
- Jan. 15: First day of 5 week self defense class with the Center For Anti-Violence Education in Brooklyn, NY. sliding scale! call 718-788-1775
- Jan. 23, Anti-Street Harassment Planning Meeting, In Other Words, 14 NE Killingsworth, Portland, OR, 4 p.m.
- Feb. 1: Stop Street Harassment Book Talk, Northern Illinois University, 7 p.m.
- Feb. 12, HollaBack Baltimore Launch Party, Metro Gallery, 1700 N. Charles Street, 8 p.m.
- If you haven’t already, read about the anti-street harassment successes of 2010! http://tinyurl.com/2cxuats
- A weekly Male Allies blog series will launch on this blog on Wednesday.
- If you’re in India, check out Blank Noise’s information for 2011 and how you can get involved with efforts there to address eve-teasing
- Did you miss the Dec. 11th Webinar about writing street harassment op-eds with journalist Elizabeth Mendez Berry? Here’s the recording if so!
- Are you in Egypt? Use HarassMap to report your street harassers
- Have an iPhone? Download a new iPhone app that lets you report street harassers!
10 Tweets from the Week:
- monaeltahawy “Move away or I’ll smash your face!” a young woman told the man who groped her on a bus in #Yemen (she wrote to tell me). Kickass!
- DianeMassage Another day of #streetharassment in #nyc, whilst wearing my red puffy jacket.
- MaxineFrances Street harassment so angers me. Usually I let it lie due to incredulity and fear for my safety. Proud I gave it a bit of lip just now.
- FatSocialWorker Octopus Pie on #streetharassment http://bit.ly/dJNhZ6 cat-callers don’t make me laugh like Octopus Pie does.
- bettyslutsky Street harassment is worst when other cyclists do it. A Harvardy 1 made lascivious tongue gestures & ruined the sunshine
- FatBlackDiva Cab home. Driver says: “Why not invite me in? I like a big woman like you.” Yeah? Do you like fines from the TLC, too? #streetharassment
- sasaragor Chuffed to see WAG’s ‘Let’s stop blaming victims’ rape prevention campaign on Queen’s Street in Cardiff #streetharassment
- StreetHarassmnt recntly approached a dude known for yelling at women on the street and told him to quit it. ended w/ ‘don’t fuck with me’! he was speechlss.
- _sugaHoney Doesn’t matter what you wear. If you have a vagina, you’re going to be harrassed because men don’t know how to act. Period.
- burnyourbones man in car shouts “I can see your knickers!” at me cycling down hill. At best I’m humiliated, at worst a multi-car pile-up #streetharassment