Story Submissions Recap:
I accept street harassment submissions from anywhere in the world. Share your story!
- Stop Street Harassment Blog: new stories from people in New York City and two in California
- HollaBack DC!: 5 new stories
- HollaBack LDN: 2 new stories
- HollaBack NYC: 4 new stories
- HollaBack San Jose: 1 new story
In the News, On the Blogs:
- CNN, “Why is sexual harassment in Egypt so rampant?“
- BBC, “Bangladesh ‘Eve Teasing’ protest draws students“
- MSNBC, “NYC considers lewd behavior ban“
- The Carolinian, “Street harassment and catcalling an unnoticed problem ingrained in society“
- Times & Transcript, “On-street harassment is a form of bullying“
- The Daily Campus (UConn), “Editorial: Anti-street assault education beneficial“
- Global Tolerance, “I am tole-ranting about … street harassment“
- Columbia Spectator, “Stop the catcalls“
- HollaBack DC!, “When street harassment leads to murder“
- F to the third power, “The Start of a New New York: Street Harassment Must End“
- Feministing, “RightRides Needs Your Support“
- The Sangfroid, “Stop Street Harassment“
- Dash of Reality, “Street harassment is NOT a rite of passage“
- Are you in Egypt? Use HarassMap to report your street harassers
- Have an iPhone? Download a new iPhone app that lets you report street harassers!
- Take a street harassment survey for a Toronto-based group working to address this problem with an iPhone app
- Via Change.org: Tell New York City Council to Fund Anti-Street Harassment Advocacy & Services
- View/read testimonies from most of the people who testified last week at the first-ever city council hearing on street harassment in NYC
- Nov. 8: RightRides fundraiser – whiskey tasting, 6 p.m., NYC
- Nov. 8: Everyday Sexism talk at Oxford Gender Equity Festival (Vicky Simister from the UK Anti-Street Harassment Campaign is speaking), 7 p.m., Oxford, UK
- Nov. 9: Rally to take rape seriously, noon, NYC
- Nov. 11: I’m co-presenting with SAFER about making campuses safer for everyone at the National Women’s Studies Association Conference, 10:45 a.m., Denver, CO
- Nov. 13: Stop Street Harassment book signing at the National Women’s Studies Association Conference, 12:15 p.m., Denver, CO,
- Nov. 14: Intro to self defense with Defend Yourself (ages 16+), 1:30 p.m., Bethesda, MD
10 Tweets from the Week:
- harassmap G’Morning! if u experienced sexual harassment today on your way to work, school or university, report the incident on http://harassmap.org/
- ricafrankel ‘Catcall’ I just got: “You’re pretty. You Jewish? Your nose is huuuuge.”
- meredithnudo As much as I love living in @downtownhouston, there is a SERIOUS #streetharassment problem here. It makes running errands uncomfortable.
- lorriehearts On my way home from leaf-stomping. Some street harassment from the bin men threatened to ruin my walk, but no, let http://twitpic.com/341jd2
- BLANK_NOISE hurray to #tokyo #actionheroes !!! http://twitpic.com/33u6bg
- fleuredeflorida Excited I got through to the @kaneshow during their catcall segment so I could give a shoutout to @hollabackdc
- MONTAakaQUEEN Never can understand… when walking down the street why do men harass women???
- BatfishLD Apparently it’s “catcall a white girl on Mission” day. In other news, there’s a lot of new graffiti in the hood!
- newsaboutwomen: Anti-street harassment campaign HollaBack reaches Israel – http://ow.ly/1rn6w1 // (follow them, @hollaback_il)
- RedFeminist @Mmmeg The majority do not have good intentions. Women’s bodies are not public property. Men need to realize that we won’t put up with it.