Story Submissions Recap:
I accept street harassment submissions from anywhere in the world. Share your story!
- Stop Street Harassment Blog: 4 new stories from women in Washington, DC; Vancouver; Connecticut; and Spain.
- HollaBack DC!: 3 new stories
- HollaBack NYC: 20 new stories
- HollaBack Toronto: 1 new story
In the News, On the Blogs:
- BBC, “Italian seaside town planning miniskirt ban“e
- Associated Press, “Lawmakers probe street harassment of NYC women” – this story was picked up by over 200 media outlets, including: Washington Post, MSNBC, Fox News, Boston Globe, Yahoo News, AOL News, Huffington Post, KSRO News Talk, Canadian Press, Arizona Daily Sun,
- CBS News, “NYC Women Demand ‘Harassment-Free Zones‘”
- Ms. Blog, “‘Whose Streets?’ Asks New York City Council“
- New York Post, “Women tell City Council of catcall horrors“
- Jezebel, “Can A City Effectively Ban Catcalls?“
- Change.org, “Street harassment and the importance of history“
- Salon, “Legislating against catcalls“
- Gothamist, “Street Harassment Finally Gets City Council’s Attention“
- Metro, “City talks back to ‘harassers‘”
- Jerusalem Post, “Taboo and rape in Egypt“
- Mercury News, “High-tech answer to harassment on Egypt’s streets“
- Switched, “Harassmap Lets Egyptian Women Report Sexual Harassment via Text, Twitter“
- NY Daily News, “City Council hears plea to curb catcalls; women say it’s an ‘issue of safety‘”
- Salon, “Mapping Egyptian Street Harassment“
- Tampa Bay, “The skinny: Women hit back against street harassment“
- Aha Life, “Hollaback“
- Pink Scare, “Should we legislate against cat-calling: I say yes“
- The Media Line, “Cairo’s Women Use Web to Pinpoint Harassment“
- AAUW Dialog, “New York City Fights Street Harassment“
- The New Agenda, “Hearing on street harassment of women and girls in New York City“
- Foreign Policy, “What Next?“
- Good Men Project, “No More Catcalls?“
- The NYC Council held the first-ever hearing on street harassment. The 15 testimonies were amazing and the press coverage was extensive (see some of it above). Let’s see what the outcome will be!
- Check out Cairo’s HarassMap!!
- HollaBack Alberta and HollaBack Israel are getting ready to launch websites and in the meantime, follow them on twitter (HollaBackAlberta, Hollaback_il)
- Is the book Stop Street Harassment at your library? If not, request it! You can also buy it online at Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
10 Tweets from the Week:
- CatCall Wow I just got catcalled while doing a photoshoot & interview about catcalls for NY Post! Let me say it again: wow!
- TheSliverParty #ThingsMenShouldStopDoing Street harassment. #fem2
- sistertoldja Any prop aids #streetharassment. Eating? “Can I hve some?” Walking w a cane? “Let me take care of u”
- sarahbibi I just balled through 3 testimonies at the city council hearing to end street harassment towards NYC women. These are some amazing ladies.
- thekateblack NYC City Council Meetng on #streetharassment was spectacular. Lots of good ideas. I’d love 2 see more training 4 NYPD
- feministteacher My student just delivered powerful testimony on personal exp w/street harassment for a NYC hearing; thanks @iHollaback for the opportunity.
- JessSolomon: the middle school girls I teach talked about #streetharassment with @hollabackdc. It was eye opening.
- lenachen Please do not creep up to pedestrians at intersections and whisper about their outfits in their ear.
- reasoner22 Yes! “Legislating against cat-calls http://shar.es/0OG61 — this is so long overdue and needed!!! #streetharassment“
- caracourchesne in the soc sec office getting new card, got told i was beautiful, then an “ungrateful bitch” for lack of response #streetharassment