Story Submissions Recap:
I accept street harassment submissions from anywhere in the world. Share your story!
- Stop Street Harassment Blog: 6 new stories from people in Illinois, Oregon, Louisiana, Belgium, the UK, and an unspecified location.
- HollaBack DC!: 4 new stories
- HollaBack NYC: 8 new stories
- HollaBackLDN: 4 new stories 7 a new website layout/heading
- HollaBack PGH!: 1 new story
In the News, On the Blogs:
- University of Iowa News Release, “Author to address stopping street harassment at UI lecture Oct. 21“
- The Post, “Fema-what? Three things women wish men knew about street harassment“
- Time, “Hey Baby: A Violent Video Game Geared to Women“
- Uplift Magazine, “Talking about street harassment“
- Al Masry Al Youm, “Q&A with Holly Kearl, editor of Stop Street Harassment: Making Public Spaces Safe and Welcoming for Women“
- Change.org, “Why Public Safety Is a Women’s Issue“
- Feministing, “Why do strange men think they’re allowed to touch me?“
- Rabbit Write, “Street Harassment: Why Ignoring it Doesn’t Work“
- Postbourgie, “HollaHollaHolla“
- Calista Jones, “Lisa Robinson“
- Bela Shea, “Word Hurt (Despite that One Saying)“
- Stop Street Harassment Blog was listed #9 in the top 50 blogs for following women’s rights!
- Welcome, HollaBack San Jose!
- Is the book Stop Street Harassment at your library? If not, request it! You can also buy it online at Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
- HollaBack NYC is hiring a Program Director & had a new website!
- HollaBack DC! is looking for a graphic design intern
- RightRides is looking for interns & volunteers in NYC
- Oct. 18: Street harassment meeting in London, 7 p.m.
- Oct. 21: Street harassment talk at the University of Iowa, 7:15 p.m.
- Oct. 28: Public hearing on street harassment in NYC, 1 p.m.
10 Tweets from the Week:
- jonubian: I don’t think most people understand how terrorizing street harassment can be.
- mjbyars @DesiSanchez we need more of that from women. Embarrassing harassers is one way for women to send a loud message about #streetharassment.
- jennpozner Walking to meet w/ Emily of @ihollaback. Think her aura’s working:1st time in ages no #streetharassment in 10blocks so far.
- thekateblack To the guy who tried to grab my tits on the Bedford L platform: Eat the third rail, you miserable piece of shit. #streetharassment #NYC
- HollabackPGH we ❤ @bikepgh, who are working to make the streets safer for people who ride bikes. we want that too!
- ElizabethOwens This is a belated entry from last weekend, but the girls in my program and I did some awesome hollabacks at street harassment. #effoff
- euonymy Street harassment: really fucking unpleasant.
- happiestrotteen on a more sombre note, i was a victim of (sexual) street harassment in kilburn today (just 1 incident of hundreds, thousands in my life)
- nazzynasir At what century of your twisted pathetic brain would a married woman like me ever respond to a catcall whistle? Want to die isit?
- hymnforrachel another friendly reminder: guys, girls don’t like with when you catcall at them..well, any self-respecting girl.