Story Submissions Recap:
I accept street harassment submissions from anywhere in the world. Share your story!
- Stop Street Harassment Blog: 6 new stories from people in South Wales, UK; Minneapolis, MN; Jakarta, Indonesia; London, UK; Quebec, Canada; and no location indicated.
- HollaBack DC!: 3 new stories
- HollaBack NYC: 6 new stories
- HollaBackLDN: 6 new stories
In the News, On the Blogs:
- BBC Radio 4, Woman’s Hour did a segment about street harassment
- El Diario, “El acoso callejero” (English: “The Uncomfortable Walk Home“)
- Guardian, “Sexual harassment is not just a problem for Ines Sainz“
- Guardian, “Women in Egypt get hi-tech aid to beat sexual harassment“
- New German periodical focused on street harassment, “Street Harassment – Machtprozesse und Raumproduktion“
- The Intersection of Madness and Reality, “Street Meet: Black Women, Black Men, & Everyday Sexual Harassment“
- My Retail Heaven, “Oi Sexy! Nice Rack“
- Women’s Views on News, “Oi darlin’! Not many of them to the pound! Street harassment: the right of men to tell women what they think of them.”
- The Post, “Fema-what?: Three Things Women Wish Men Knew About Street Harassment”
- A Black Girl’s Guide to Weight Loss, “Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment, & Weight Gain: Facing Facts“
- HollaBack DC!, “Literacy and street harassment“
- Welcome HollaBack PGH, a site for folks living in Pittsburgh, PA, to share their street harassment stories
- If you live in London, take a survey about street harassment on the London Anti-Street Harassment Campaign’s website and help influence mayoral policy
- The book Stop Street Harassment is available online!
- HollaBack NYC is looking for interns
- RightRides is looking for interns & volunteers in NYC
10 Tweets from the Week:
- PiperYAnderson Wearing tights for the first time in over 10yrs. Stopped wearing shorts or tights after a traumatic experience. #streetharassment
- lillyheart: Decided: I would rather tithe to @iHollaback than the church until it recognizes my humanity.
- accostherwilde A new taste of street harassment: dudes holla-ing @ me from their cars as I sit on my porch. Now they know where I live
- MissNabokov Men probably don’t realise what a big issue street harassment actually is (unless they’re the ones doing it). It really needs addressing.
- gyraff Why tweet abt st. harassment? Was told all my life to feel “grateful” and “appreciated” for getting catcalls . Actually, it feels yucky.
- mgeils One of the many things I don’t miss about public transit/busing/walking is street harassment and catcalling #fuckyou #shutup
- Mdotwrites DC streets be quiet on Redskin Sundays. Mean less street harassment for me. Ain’t THAT some shit.
- CTrouper Had my eyeballs on a copy of glamour mag. Q&a on street harassment article on summer of mainstream misogyny. Heart.
- smanamana I also hate this RT @karennattiah: Street harassment is one thing I hate about New York
- clembastow Here’s a hint, guys: street harassment does not make women want to “spend some time” with you.
Resource of the Week:
Check out these new button, stickers, and magnets you can use to declare your dislike of street harassment and to brand/shame street harassers!!