Story Submissions Recap:
I accept street harassment submissions from anywhere in the world. Share your story!
- Stop Street Harassment Blog: There were 7 stories from contributors in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (x2); London; Virginia; South Africa; and two from unspecified locations.
- HollaBack Chicago: 1 new story
- HollaBack DC!: 11 new stories
- HollaBack NYC: 6 new stories, plus a recording of a woman confronting her harassers
In the News, On the Blogs:
- Infoshop News, “An Appropriate Response to Street Harassment“
- Young Feminist Wire, “Delhi Most Unsafe for Women” (video)
- The Jakarta Post, “Women Face Harassment Every Day” (Indonesia)
- The London Anti-Street Harassment (LASH) Campaign was featured on “A Programme From Vanessa Feltz” (BBC)
- John Tesh, “You Can Combat Street Harassment“
- The Independent, “Harriet Walker:Hassled Just Because I Ride a Bike“
- Feministing Community, “NYC Mutes, Ignores Sex-Crime Prevention Services“
- Women’s Learning Partnership, “No More Silence: Taking a Stand on Sexual Harassment“
- Where Is Your Line, “‘Hey Baby’ Could Be a Strong Starting Point“
10 Street Harassment Tweets from the Week:
- SpringDoes I’m always astounded by how much less street harassment I experience when walking with a man.
- femmeniste “Wow, girl. You are so sexy!”-guy on bike. Can a lady get to work in peace? #StreetHarassment #NYC #RideBy
- GIRLEMPOWER: @iHollaback When I was 8 my grandma blamed ME for a teenage boys sexual harassment!
- NoWealthButLife “Hey, sexy” from strange man on street= opposite of sexy. Why is this hard for good guys to understand? http://bit.ly/ccFqjl
- lashcampaign A film crew making a documentary about activism will be following @vicky_simister around next week
- krisellelaran Boys: If a girl doesn’t respond to your catcall, calling her “fat” won’t make her swoon. It will make her punch you in the mouth
- CatCall A CHILD riding his bike on the sidewalk says, “Hello beautiful” as he nearly crashes into me. “Learning catcalls young, eh?” A CHILD!
- StopStHarassmnt #streetharassment starts early. out of 811 women, 87% said they’d faced it by age 19, 66% by age 15, & 22% by age 12. #outrageous
- BLANK_NOISE what in the past stopped you from reacting to street sexual harassment? #eveteasing
- iHollaback Street harassment teaches us to be silent. We just refuse to listen.
Resource of the Week:
- Humorous video “Eve Teasing is Injurious to Health”