Story Submissions Recap:
I accept street harassment submissions from anywhere in the world. Share your story!
- Stop Street Harassment Blog: There were 6 stories from women in Burbank, CA; Arlington, VA; Louisville, KY; Boston, MA; New York City, NY; and Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Hollaback DC!: 17 new stories
- Hollaback NYC: 1 new story
- Other: Kari Parks wrote, “This what street harassment feels like;” Amelia Wells wrote, “So, I’m pretty? That doesn’t oblige me to sleep with you,” Meloukhia wrote, “Thanks for the Pall, construction worker.”
- Interview on Amplify Your Voice with filmmaker Nuala Cabral about her film “Walking Home.”
- Interview on Holla Back DC! with filmmaker Maggie Hadleigh-West about her film “War Zone.”
In the News:
- A blogger for Transit Miami asks, “ Does a woman have equal right to mobility in the city?“
- Rape Crisis Scotland & the Scottish Government launched a “Not Ever” television ad and online campaign against rape and victim-blaming.
- Psychological violence (including verbal harassment) is now a crime in France.
- 59% of harassment women in the Netherlands experienced in 2009 occurred at public places like the street, transit stops, and restaurants.
- NYPD may be regularly downgrading reported sexual assaults.
- The Line Campaign wrote, “Street harassment is violence, too!“
10 Street Harassment Tweets of the Week:
- iHollaback: How come no matter how much you talk about street harassment, it’s still shocking and scary when it happens?
- mkpheartsnyc: Gotta love that it’s never too early for street harassment.
- MissDC2009: The stories on @hollabackdc infuriate me so much, I called my parents yesterday to tell them that I’m going to law school. I need to help
- femmeniste: I hate walking down the street KNOWING that a man is looking and waiting to say something gross as you pass by. #StreetHarassment #NYC
- thekateblack: E. Village street harassment stoops lower. Not 1, but 2 men blocked my path. 1 reached in front of me 2 prevent me crossing
- feministhulk: HULK TRY TO OPEN MIND, SMASH EPISTEMOLOGICAL FRAMEWORKS WHICH LIMIT HULK’S THOUGHT, BUT HULK WILL NEVER GET CAT-CALLING.
- lorenacupcake: Street harassment is getting so bad I’m almost wishing for winter, wrapping my body in wool armor against the stares and comments of men.
- ashleyrebeccah: Guy says I look cute. I ignore him & he asks didn’t u hear me? Yes I fucking heard u I just want u to leave me alone! #streetharassment
- kerinrose: Awkward fratboy-in-a-cab catcall of the nite: “I can see my reflection in your pussy!”
- allfallsup: i love dresses but hate how nasty older men catcall to me like i want em…ewww you got wrinkled balls dude.
- July 8: HollaBack Launch Party in Brooklyn, NY, 7 p.m.
- Blank Noise in India is asking for contributions defining Action Heroes in the context of street harassment.
- Stop Street Harassment: Making Public Places Safe & Welcoming for Women is available Aug. 30. Pre-order your copy today!
Resource of the Week:
- “Not Ever” Campaign from Scotland