Weekly Round Up is back by popular demand.
Story Submissions Recap:
I accept street harassment submissions from anywhere in the world. Share your story!
- Stop Street Harassment Blog: A woman in New Jersey is harassed in person and through her phone, a woman living in Belize shares how common street harassment occurs there, awoman in Salem, Massachusetts, observes high school boys harassing a high school girl and decides to report them, a woman in Gent, Belgium, says she gets sick with fear when men harass her, a woman in Washington, DC. tells a metro harasser to please leave her alone, a woman in Hendersonville, TN, recalls how many men threw objects from their cars at her and other woman walking down the street, and a woman in Toronto is stalked by a man for 45 minutes as she shops.
- Hollaback Chicago: 1 new story this week
- Hollaback DC!: 12 new stories this week
- Hollaback London: 4 new stories this week
- Hollaback NYC: 3 new stories this week, plus Justine’s video “Why I Hollaback”
- Hollaback Toronto: 1 new story this week
- Other: A woman in Nepal writes about street harassment on Booksie, there’s a Livejournal entry called “Street Harassment and Redneck Chivalry,” and anti-street harassment song! By “eating dictionaries”
In the News:
- June 13 is “Eve Teasing Protection Day“
- In Central Jakarta, India, there are now sex segregated bus lines because of harassment
- Crime Prevention 101 online radio show about street harassment (listen to it here)
- “Black Women X The Streets X Harassment” on Racialicious
- AOL Lemondrop article “How to Deal with Cat-Callers, Leer-ers, and Other Street Harassers“
- Three men raped a homeless woman who was waiting for a bus in NYC
- A Seattle, Washington, cis man was charged with a hate crime following the assault of a transwoman
- Hey Baby video game is covered by: NY Times, NPR, Ms Magazine Blog, Feministe, and WPIX (w/video)
- Welcome Hollaback Hong Kong and Hollaback London!
- Three things you can do to help HollaBack and it programs
Resource of the Week: