- On this blog, a woman in Australia shared her first street harassment experience as a 14 years old, a woman in Ontario is told by a man that he wants to be her bicycle seat, a woman in Washington, DC, shared three street harassment stories that occurred during her commutes, a woman in NYC said men in her neighborhood often harass women and like to humiliate them, and another woman in NYC listed all the ways she is typically harassed in a week (hint: it’s a depressingly large amount).
- On HollaBackNYC, a woman shared how she was harassed a lot while wearing shorts and decided not to wear them anymore but then realized the harassers had the problem – not her, and another woman wrote about how a man harassed and followed her on the subway and so she reported it to the police (who were helpful).
- On HollaBackDC! a man grabbed the butt of a woman when she was unlocking her bicycle, a bystander witnessed a group of men harassing a woman in a metro station and shares advice for intervening, a man stopped a woman to tell her she was beautiful, then hugged and kissed her, and another woman told a harasser to shut up after he “complimented” her.
In the News:
- “Women fend off sexual attacks downtown” in San Diego
- “Sexual Harassment in Egypt“
- “Harassment on the Tracks May be on the Rise” (in NYC – HollaBack NYC and RightRides are featured)
- Check out the new Stop Street Harassment YouTube Channel
- April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Here are 10 activism ideas for how you can raise awareness about this widespread problem and/or help raise funds for preventative programs and resources for survivors.
- Take two street harassment surveys and help researchers studying this problem.
- The submission deadline for an anthology on Queering Sexual Violence is extended until May 1, 2010.
- The Safe Delhi Campaign is looking for volunteers and interns.
- Blank Noise in India is looking for new logo submissions
- If you’re interested in becoming a RightRides driving team volunteer, email firstname.lastname@example.org – orientations will be occuring throughout April.
- Share why you “Holla Back” for the HollaBack NYC website.
- If you’re in NYC, come to a Vagina Monologues fundraiser for RightRides
- If you’re in the Washington, DC, area, HollaBack DC! is hosting or participating in several events across the next few weeks, check out the info on their site.
- Sign up for Washington, DC, based Defend Yourself’s annual class on dealing with street harassers, being held on May 22.
Resource of the Week: