- On this blog, a woman in Dawson Creek, BC, Canada tells how an older man stalked her for years when she was a teenager, a woman in Edmonton, AB, Canada, had a man follow her for several blocks before demanding she go out with him, a woman in Bogor, Indonesia, shares how men harass her while she wears a veil, a woman in France talks about the numerous times men harassed her during a few hours period last Saturday, a woman in Washington, DC, shares how men gawked at her and then pretended they thought she was ugly after she said “Ew” to them, a woman in Virginia was harassed on her way to work on the bus by a very vulgar harasser, and a woman in Washington, DC, was harassed on her way to buy coffee.
- On HollaBack NYC a man shares how he and his female friend were photographed by a creepy guy on the subway and another woman yells at a bold harasser and gives advice to women on what they can do to report harassers.
- On HollaBack DC! a man harassed a woman about her hair as she waited for the bus and another woman and her friend are harassed by a man masturbating near them while they chatted on a park bench.
- On HollaBack Chicago a woman tells how a man propositioned her while she was riding her bicycle at 7 a.m.!
In the News:
- Arlington (VA) County police issued a warning because 11 incidents of indecent exposure have been reported on a bike trail across the last two months.
- UK’s Hackney Post features the new anti-street harassment campaign in the UK.
- In the Washington City Paper, Amanda Hess answers the question “But how do I know if I’m a street harasser?”
- The submission deadline for an anthology on Queering Sexual Violence is extended until May 1, 2010.
- The Safe Delhi Campaign is looking for volunteers and interns.
- Blank Noise in India is looking for new logo submissions
- RightRides/New Yorkers for Safe Transit is hiring
- If you’re interested in becoming a RightRides driving team volunteer, email email@example.com – orientations will be occuring throughout April.
- HollaBack NYC is looking for volunteers with various skill sets to help them take their work to the next level.
- Share why you “Holla Back” for the HollaBack NYC website.
- If you’re in the Washington, DC, area, HollaBack DC! is hosting or participating in several events across the next few weeks, check out the info on their site.
- Sign up for Washington, DC, based Defend Yourself’s annual class on dealing with street harassers, being held on May 22.
Resource of the Week:
- The Safe Delhi Campaign – working to make cities safe for women