- On this blog, a woman in London talks about the constant harassment she receives by her home and another woman in Chicago talks about the high volume of harassment she experiences in her new neighborhood.
- On HollaBack Toronto, a contributor tells how a man in a car pulled up next to the bus stop she was sitting at and started masturbating! He drove away when she took out her cell phone.
- On Holla Back NYC, a contributor tells how a man said a sexually explicit comment to her in Macy’s in NYC.
- Holla Back DC! had seven new contributor stories this week, ranging from stories about young harassers to getting grabbed on the street to inappropriate & sexually explicit comments on the metro.
- Blank Noise Project is asking people to send in photos of the clothes they have been harassed in to help disprove the perception that it only happens when women wear certain clothes. They say, “write to us at blurtblanknoise @gmail dot com subject titled “i never ask for it””
In the News:
- In NYC a woman was harassed and arrested by an allegedly misogynistic police officer on the subway.
- Egypt is distributing books about sexual harassment to mosques to help educate and inform imams.
- July 8 (8 – 11:55 p.m.): SafeWalk Benefit by Friends of RightRides to help offset the operational costs of SafeWalk to provide safe, free walks to any destination in the northern Brooklyn area on Friday nights. Cost: $6-10 sliding scale. Location: Silent Barn, 915 Wyckoff, Brooklyn, NY. More info
- July 10 (7 – 10 p.m.): BACK UP! concrete diaries documentary screening as part of Docs in Progress. Cost: $5 suggested donation. Location: George Washington University Media & Public Affairs Building, 805 21st Street NW, Auditorium B-07, Washington, DC. More info
Street Harassment Resource of the Week:
Joan Fayer’s article “Changes in Gender Use of Public Space in Puerto Rico,” in Voices in the Street: Explorations in Gender, Media, and Public Space, eds Susan J. Drucker and Gary Gumpert (New Jersey: Hampton Press, Inc: 1996).