Inspired by Feministing’s post yesterday about favorite feminist songs, I thought I’d try to find songs that mention or address street harassment. Below – in no particular order – are my results.
- Fugazi’s “Suggestion” (“Why can’t i walk down a street free of suggestion?/ Is my body the only trait in the eye’s of men?”)
- Emilie Autumn’s “Thank God I’m Pretty” (“With the ability to rend a grown man tongue-tied/ Which only means that when it’s dark outside
/I have to run and hide can’t look behind me”)
- Queen Latifah’s “Unity” (“I walked past these dudes when they passed me/ One of em felt my booty, he was nasty/ I turned around red, somebody was catching the wrath/ Then the little one said (yeah me bitch) and laughed”)
- No Doubt “Just a Girl” (‘Cause I’m just a girl I’d rather not be/
‘Cause they won’t let me drive/ Late at night I’m just a girl,/
Guess I’m some kind of freak/ ‘Cause they all sit and stare/
With their eye”)
- TLC “No Scrubs” (“A scrub is a guy that can’t get no love from me/
Hanging out the passenger side/ Of his best friend’s ride/ Trying to holler at me”)
Okay, this is harder than I thought so I’m leaving it at five for now. Please share any you know about in the comments!